Google

Thursday, April 14, 2016

Defrag Mac Hard Drive Running OS X El Capitan 10.11

Should I defrag Mac hard drive to speed up OS X El Capitan 10.11 performance? All those OS X El Capitan users who are struggling with the slow performance of the Mac hard drive have asked this obvious question.




Some of the best available tips for improving Mac OS X El Capitan performance are as follows -

(1) Remove Adobe AIR. Use the latest non-beta Adobe Air Install .DMG and the command line process

(2) Remove SIMBL and associated apps. Its a very effective step and has helped many of users.

(3) Defrag Mac disk to reduce the file access time of Mac hard drive

(4) Upgrading the Mac hard drive to a Solid State Drive

(5) Resetting PRAM and NVRAM to optimize slow Macs

Mac Drive Defrag

OS X El Capitan 10.11, just like earlier versions of OS X lacks in handling hard drive defragmentation with a built-in utility. Disk Utility has everything bundles including Drive Repair, Restore, Partition, Erase, Mount but didn’t have an option to kill the hard drive fragmentations.

Software to Defrag Mac

One of the few available Mac software, Stellar Drive Defrag works on hard drive defragmentation algorithms in order to eliminate fragments and improve OS X performance. The various options available in Stellar Drive Defrag tools are –

Metadata Defragmentation

While accessing a file, the Mac OS X holds vital information about that file. This information includes file length, date of creation, modification date, likewise. This information about a file is known as Metadata, which in other words is data-about-data. These files must be defragmented in order to access the files in a quick manner. Stellar Drive Defrag software removes file fragments such as attribute files, catalog files, extent overflow and allocation files.

Quick Defragmentation

This option is meant to rearrange Mac files into contiguous memory and arrange the free space into single chunk on the disk. As the name suggest, this is a quicker approach towards removal of hard drive fragmentations.

Full Defragmentation

This feature of Stellar Drive Defrag tool is meant to gather all the files and free spaces in the selected volume into separate continuous memory locations. It helps the Mac OS to read files quickly. Though full Mac defragmentation is a lengthy process, its outcomes are usually promising. 

Optimize

This option is meant to bring all the scattered free spaces in the Mac hard drive together into a single piece of memory which ultimately reduces the chances of fragmentation in future and thus helps for the storage of new files. The process of hard drive optimization shouldn’t be confused with hard drive defragmentation.

The Mac file system is capable enough to handle the fragmented files too a greater extent however, it will not be effective in case of files that too large too handle. If a user modifies large files continuously then Mac OS X alone can’t handle the fragments created. 

2 comments:

  1. There is a reason why I bought a Mac, it was not to be one of the cool kids that wanted the best of the best. No it was because of the music production I do on it. Hours and hours sitting in front of my Mac copying, pasting, moving, deleting, hour after hour just beating on my Mac in a endless assault to get my work done. That is the key part, my work. I work from home, it is great, but even if it is from home it is still work and it still needs to get done. So my Mac, I have it because it is fast, gets the job done and comes back for more.
    But what happens when it doesn't want to do those things anymore?
    I move around massive amounts of information and yes even on the almighty Mac this can cause a problem after a while. Things fragment, programs get corrupted issues come up. My light speed Mac slows down to a crawl and all of the sudden I simply cannot get any work done. Because I work from home there is no IT guy to call and ask to come fix it. No instead I have to figure out what is wrong. I am lucky, I did, but not after trying everything under the sun first and wasting countless hours looking for one program that can do what I needed instead of ten programs. One program to lead them all….okay that was a lame Lord of the rings reference, but that program was/is Detox My Mac. A simple to use program that did not just fix my issues, it put my Mac on overdrive again. A few clicks and my Mac was clean and ready to rock and roll again.
    Read more here:- http://detox-my-mac.com?duhhf9265hskfhf98346

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Post. Luckily, I never to face performance issues with my MacBook. You know why? I have MacRapidizer installed in my PC. It keeps my Mac completely Junk Free & cleans it regularly.

    ReplyDelete