Google

Thursday, May 21, 2015

How to Optimize Mac after Yosemite (10.10) Installation

As we know about the latest operating system from Apple (i.e. Yosemite), for which an upgrade is now available. And with this upgrade, plenty of new features and enhancement comes to your Mac.

But, similar to any other upgrade there is a possibility that your Mac will become slow. So, I have compiled a list of tried and tested tips through which you can optimize your Mac easily after installing Yosemite.

Tips to Optimize Mac after Yosemite Upgrade:
1. Repair permissions:
This is the very first thing which you can do before installing an upgrade or after installing the upgrade to your OS. It can be helpful in fixing a lot of things. You can do this without restarting but you may want to run it from the recovery partition, which is automatically created after installing the new operating system.

2. Check Disk for errors:
Another thing, which you can do from the recovery partition, is to verify the hard drive issue. You can also repair the disk error.

3. Reset System Management Controller (SMC):
In my opinion, this along with some other things can fix the issues. If the fan of your system running all the time on your MBP, it’s always beneficial to do this. Read this article from official Apple site that tells you how to do it on different Macs.

4. Reset PRAM:
Similar to resetting the SMC, you should reset your system PRAM at regular interval of time. Here is the Apple support article for Yosemite.
Turn off your computer.
Press the power button.
Press Command + Option + P + R in combination. After that, you will see an initial startup screen.
Now, press and holds until your Mac restarts.
Release the keys when you hear the startup sound which your system makes when it startup.
This is known as “reduce translucency” and for some users it helps to reduce the slowdown of their Mac. Simply, head over to the “system preferences > Accessibility” and then click on the “reduce transparency” button.

5. Free up disk space:
Last, but most important thing which you can do for improving the performance of your Mac after Yosemite installation is to free up some disk space. You can take the help of this utility for this purpose. Select the large and old files which you don’t need and free up your disk space.

Final conclusion:
These are some of the useful tips through which anyone can improve the performance of their Mac system after installing Yosemite. Please, let me know which of the above tips working for you?

2 comments:

  1. There is a reason why I bought a Mac; it was not to be one of the cool kids that wanted the best of the best. No it was because of the music production I do on it. Hours and hours sitting in front of my Mac copying, pasting, moving, deleting, hour after hour just beating on my Mac in a endless assault to get my work done. That is the key part, my work. I work from home, it is great, but even if it is from home it is still work and it still needs to get done. So my Mac, I have it because it is fast, gets the job done and comes back for more.

    But what happens when it doesn't want to do those things anymore?

    I move around massive amounts of information and yes even on the almighty Mac this can cause a problem after a while. Things fragment, programs get corrupted issues come up. My light speed Mac slows down to a crawl and all of the sudden I simply cannot get any work done. Because I work from home there is no IT guy to call and ask to come fix it. No instead I have to figure out what is wrong. I am lucky, I did, but not after trying everything under the sun first and wasting countless hours looking for one program that can do what I needed instead of ten programs. One program to lead them all….okay that was a lame Lord of the rings reference, but that program was/is Detox My Mac. A simple to use program that did not just fix my issues, it put my Mac on overdrive again. A few clicks and my Mac was clean and ready to rock and roll again.

    Read more here:- http://detox-my-mac.com?vhbshygdf398432

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet, it could give a tough competition to MacRapidizer in optimizing the Mac. The bunch of utilities offered makes it the true companion of my Mac.

    ReplyDelete